Tel: 0030 2310 498476
Research Gate profile: www.researchgate.net/profile/Konstantinos_Plakas
- Membrane processes for water and wastewater treatment and industrial separations (ultrafiltration, nanofiltration, reverse osmosis, electrodialysis)
- Advanced oxidation processes (heterogeneous photocatalysis, homogeneous and heterogeneous Fenton oxidation, photo-Fenton, H2O2/UVC, H2O2/TiO2/UVC) and hybrids with membrane processes (photocatalytic membrane reactors)
- Environmental electrochemistry (electro-Fenton, photo-electro-Fenton, anodic oxidation, electro-dialysis)
- Recovery of water and materials from industrial and agro-industrial effluents by membrane and advanced treatment processes.
- Seawater and brackish water advanced desalination technologies (electrodialysis reversal, membrane-capacitive deionization).
Kostas graduated with a Diploma in Chemical Engineering from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki in 2002. After completing his military service in the Hellenic Navy, he pursued Ph.D. studies in Chemical Engineering in Aristotle University of Thessaloniki under the supervision of Professor Anastasios J. Karabelas. During 2005 he worked for six months as a Marie-Curie short-term project fellow in the Institut für Verfahrenstechnik, RWTH Aachen, Germany under the supervision of Professor Thomas Melin. From 2011 to 2020 he worked as a PostDoc Researcher and Research Associate at NRRE and in July 2020 he has been appointed in the position of Assistant Researcher (C’ Grade). His research activities resulted to 22 peer-reviewed scientific papers, 5 book chapters, more than 60 papers in international and national conference/workshop proceedings, 1 patent. He has been involved in many R&D projects funded by the European Commission, chemical industries and other national funding agencies.
Outside the lab, Kostas is co-founder and member of CERTH’s basketball team, he loves reading books, travelling, and watching movies.